Mike is at his final FOB (I have no idea what that is, I feel like I should as the daughter of a Marine, but I haven't a clue!) in Afghanistan.
He recently sent us his email and mailing address. Here is a copy of his email:
I am done travelling and have finally settled in at my new home, it's called FOB Walton, and it is just a couple miles east of Kandahar. We are co-located with the headquarters of the Regional Afghan Police. My job is to serve as the G-1 for RPAC-S. In non-Army speak, that means I am the personnel officer for all American personnel serving in the Southern Region of the Regional Police Advisory Command. It's been a fairly interesting experience so far, nothing exciting yet, just settling into my new role and new quarters. The FOB is nice, very small with some nice amenities - my own room, a gym, a tv in my room, and wireless internet on the base. Hell, I don't even have wireless internet at home! I saw a donkey on the side of the road, and some camels yesterday, and I struck up a conversation with some Afghan police officers yesterday. I did take some Pashtu classes and actually held my own. I showed them a picture of John and Andrew and they almost fell over laughing, not the reaction a proud dad wants. When I asked why, they pointed to their hair. These people have never seen kids with blond hair before. Poverty is beyond description, there is no doubt whatsoever that our efforts here are warranted.
Everyone asks my address (which I have finally) and what I want. Truthfully, we have it made here. We go to Kandahar Airfield every couple days and I stock up on the toothpaste, soap, etc. I have my laptop and tv, we have about 200 DVD's here on the FOB, so I'm stuck as to what you could send if so inclined. The only thing I could think of if foodstuff. We don't have a dining hall, we have to cook for ourselves. Usually someone cooks a hot dinner for everyone, but some things for the guys are always nice. Cookies, crackers, pop-tarts, etc can be used by everyone. And of course everyone likes brownies, cookies, whatever. Not sure when I'll get out to meet the locals often, so no need to send anything yet to give to the Afghan kids, hopefully that day will come soon though, and that would be a wonderful thing to be able to do.
Address is:
MAJ Michael Booker
ARSIC-S
RPAC-S/FOB Walton
APO AE 09355
The calendar tells me it's almost Christmas (not many Santa Claus's or Christmas lights here) so have a Merry Christmas.
Mike
Send him some love and muffins! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment