Saturday, October 18, 2008

When it rains, it pours -- out of the ceiling!

Gotta love toddler curiosity. On Wednesday, I was pretty stressed with a meeting at work and needless to say was a little preoccupied. I wasn't the best Mommy I could be and neither was Allison! Apparently she had put a lot of paper and wipes down the upstairs toilet. I wasn't aware of this event happening -- and when she got up from her nap, we went to the potty. I told Allison to flush and the toilet made this awful gurgle sound and whoosh, out comes the water, and it kept coming and coming....
I quickly turned the water off, and looked at Allison and told her to go to Mommy and Daddy's room and sit on the bed. I told her not to touch a thing, just to sit on the bed. She didn't miss a beat and sat there for me. I ran down the stairs to get the mop. Got the mop and then realized it wasn't going to work. I then made a mad dash back outside to the garage to get the wet / vac. When I returned, my sweet baby girl had gotten towels ((I think at some point I did grab some and throw them down -- no way she thought of that on her own)) and laid them on the floor. She was back on the bed and was sucking on a washcloth. She does this a lot with her teething, I noticed, in my deer-in-the-headlight panic that the washcloth was wet. I asked her how the washcloth got wet, she told me from the floor. I flipped out because now my daughter was sucking on toilet water! I vacuumed up the water and then went downstairs just in time to hear drip, drip out of the ceiling. Unbelievable. The water had seeped in around the vanity and was now flooding our family room. I had had it and just took Allison and Bailey to the basement. Brent came home and put a hole in the ceiling only to fill a BUCKET full of water. When it was happening, Allison pointed to the ceiling and told me it was going potty. Not funny at the time, but funny and adorable now!
To make this story more complicated and funny, really, our realtor called to tell us we were having a home inspection the next morning. That's right, the next morning. We got a handyman to at least patch the damage for the inspection and then we got the leak fixed this weekend. All day today Allison kept telling us that Victor was going to fix the ceiling. Lots of money later, the ceiling is fixed and we passed the home inspection. There goes my Christmas!

No comments: